Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Dull Meals Inspire Sleep


One of the cool things about teaching is that you really have to know the material before you pass it on. Of course, there are those who will try to bluff their way through it. My senior year of high school I took American Government. The teacher was an older man who just didn't seem to care anymore. The entire class was him rambling on and on at random and I remember absolutely nothing from that class.
In fact, I'd situate myself to be looking down and taking notes...but I was actually napping. (Maybe that's why I don't remember anything.)
Once I fell asleep and woke up to see that the classroom was about emptied out and the teacher was standing over me. I felt really bad about that. It would've helped if he'd had any sort of curriculum at all.
God's Word is incredible. I get excited when God shows me something in a way I hadn't quite seen it before. It's awesome to be able to share it with others. And then it keeps coming back to me after I've shared it with them. It's like a fine meal that just keeps getting better the more you chew on it. Well, chew on this...
Isaiah 62:5 "...as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so will your God rejoice over you."
Ephesians 1:4 (The Message) "Long before he laid down earth's foundations, he had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of his love, to be made whole and holy by his love."

5 comments:

Debbie said...

C'mon admit it - you have fallen asleep in church too!!! :-)

Pastor Paul said...

Ok. I remember once when I started nodding off in church. The sleepiness felt so heavy. Then, I guess the speaker noticed me because my friend started kicking me repeatedly. The key is to bounce back with an "Amen". They'll think you were meditating -unless you were snoring too.

Sheri Leming said...

Yes, but I have now experienced the ultimate twist...having people fall asleep WHILE I SPEAK! BUMMER!

Pastor Paul said...

I told you...I was praying over every point in the message. Don't you want me to pray?

Sheri Leming said...

I guess it was the loud snoring that bothered me. :-)