Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Spotlight On Music Ministry


In regard to music ministry, my education came from a variety of sources. College was not one of them. But looking back over my life I could see how God prepared me for this calling. I gleaned much from everything in my school years. The public school I attended offered me experience with jazz bands, concert bands, orchestra, and, of course, marching band! Also I enjoyed singing with choirs and jazz groups -which would tackle some especially difficult music.
Growing up in church meant you were always involved. Being in the atmosphere and being faithful to attend is incredibly important. I heard it said once that God doesn't take the able and make them faithful...He takes the faithful and makes them able.
God can teach you through a variety of sources. When I first moved to Southern California from Seattle, I worked a number of "odd" jobs and I learned something from all of them. (Cue dreamy harp music and fade picture to flashback.)

As a bus boy at Velvet Turtle -I learned that you have to "save your steps". Make the most of where you are at any given moment.
At a warehouse where I punched gaskets most of the day, I found myself continuously drained by a fellow employee who had the dirtiest mouth I'd ever heard. So I began singing worship songs at work -which made all the difference.
For awhile I even had a door-to-door job setting up appointments for solar panel salesmen. This helped me learn how to start conversations with complete strangers. Also it improved my running skills as dogs chased me through neighborhoods.
For awhile I worked for a short, short-tempered man who repaired computer boards. One day he was introducing me to his family -as he was firing me. There I learned how to wait on God until I had a peace that He would provide a new job.
For awhile I worked for a company that shipped military household goods around the world. There I learned the importance of a good work ethic. I remember a manager writing down "8:01 AM" when I came in one minute late.
For awhile I worked in a ball-bearing factory in the beautiful City of Industry. There I learned how to persevere in an oppressive environment.
Finally, I worked for a D.J. Company. We provided music for wedding receptions, parties and fashion shows. It was here that I learned one of the most important things in regard to being a music minister -surprisingly enough. I'll expand on that next week.

No comments: