Monday, March 12, 2007

Are You Pooped?

When it comes to ministry, there is the potential to think that you need to work 24/7. For some that might mean 24 hours a week for 7 months a year. For others it means non-stop. I was beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed with all that we're doing and still needing to do when Matthew 11:28-30 just kind of drifted into my mind. Check out how the Message translates it:
"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."
It's amazing that Jesus never seemed to be in a rush during his 3-year ministry span. He didn't have to run here and there trying to solve every problem in the world. (He did take a short cut by walking across the lake once rather than around it.) Everything He did was deliberate. Even when it came to waiting until His friend Lazarus died before going to see him. How wonderful it is to see His restfulness in simple obedience to His Father. He was called to nothing more or less than that -and so are we.

No comments: