Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Spotlight On Music Ministry

So, you want to be a music minister. Here are just a few questions...well, 29 questions, you should ask yourself first. And these are just off the top of my head...
1. Has God called me to this ministry?
2. Do I tithe?
3. Am I faithful to be in every service?
4. Do I love people?
5. Do I submit to leadership?
6. Do I have the gift of leadership?
7. Have my giftings been confirmed by leadership and others?
8. In regard to styles of music, am I flexible?
9. Am I threatened by more talented musicians?
10. Am I willing to let others lead?
11. Will I train and equip others for ministry?
12. Am I an affirming person?
13. Am I willing to sit in a dunk-tank booth?
14. Do I have a strong work ethic?
15. Do I work well with others? ...lots of others?
16. Am I willing to turn down the volume?
17. Can I handle criticism?
18. Am I willing to be the first one to arrive early on Sunday morning and the last one to leave Sunday night?
19. Am I willing to grow in my abilities?
20. Do I practice?
21. Do I arrive early for rehearsals?
22. Am I willing to take risks?
23. If I fail, will I try again?
24. Can I live within my means?
25. Will I dream big?
26. Am I sensitive to the move of God in a service?
27. Can I adapt my song list...in the middle of the worship time?
28. Will I lead worship by example?
29. Am I willing to become invisible during the worship time? (And not a rock star.)

4 comments:

Kim said...

I don't think I was meant to be a music minister Paul, I am not willing to sit in a dunk tank. No way, no how!!!! But I know someone who is wonderful at all 29 things......... I wonder who that could be?????? Hmmmmmm

Pastor Paul said...

Maybe not a dunk tank -but I know someone who was willing to have some pretty gross stew dumped over her head for a Kids Crusade once. You're pretty wonderful yourself. :)

Debbie said...

Other than the fact that I can't really carry a tune and I'm not called - I also don't think I was meant to be a music minister. **Faithful to every service? Sure, except for the Oscar party...the superbowl...
**Do I love people? Depends on who they are!!
**Do I get along with others? Depends on who they are!!
**Can I handle criticism? Not always - depends on who it comes from!
**1st to arrive/last to leave? If I stay out too late Saturday, no. If I didn't get my Sunday afternoon nap, no.
**Would I practice? If I had nothing else to do!
**Can I adopt the song list as the Lord leads? Sure, as long as he wouldn't lead me to "He's Under My Feet" or "Look What The Lord Has Done."
**Am I willing to be invisible? Heck no - I want the spotlight!! :o)
So maybe that's my calling!! What do you think?

Pastor Paul said...

Well, I never said it was easy. :) And I'm not saying I've mastered all of this either. I think it's something to strive for in ministry. I appreciate your honesty-in-jest. But, the Oscars? Really? That sounds like 4 hours of YAWN!!! :)