Monday, November 24, 2008

Indiana Jones Speaks French Poorly

Last Saturday we had a birthday party for Yves and Mirella. Their birthdays both fall in the same week. It was really cool to see some familiar relatives and to meet some new ones too. I got to visit with Hirohiti -who was 6 years old the first time I met him. When I brought Lauren over here -he was quite an entertaining tour guide. Now he is 17 and joining the army in January. Wow do I feel old. He's shaved his head already. Those Army people just hate hair, don't they?
That night I had another practice with the youth choir. They are sounding terrific! And they knew the tune of "Joy To The World" -but not the words. That's wild to me when it's such a standard in America. But they all study english in their schools -so learning the words went quickly. We're doing a chorus of that along with "How Great Is Our God" for their Christmas program.

Last night we went to Thierry Albert's home to watch Indiana Jones -the 1st & 3rd films. They are preparing for a youth camp that will be held in December with an Indiana Jones theme. I've seen the campsite and it couldn't be more appropriate. They've even put an add for the camp on one of the church's websites. www.ADDTAHITI.com
They had the DVD on the french-speaking version. So it was pretty cool to see Indy speaking in french. But they had made some mistakes too. When he says, "Dad!" throughout the 3rd film, they translated it as "Pere!" -which people just don't say like that. Also they used the formal way of speaking -as you would to a stranger -when speaking to family members. To say, "How are you?" -one says to a stranger, "Comment allez-vous?" But to a family member, one says, "Comment vas-tu?"
I'm not sure what one does when speaking to a strange family member.

3 comments:

Don Croswhite said...

Your such a French-nerd.

Pastor Gwyn Vaughn said...

I love the journal of your trip...or should I say the blog. Sounds like you are having a great time. I love the lemon story...I could use that for an sermon illustration..Ha...Or is it copy written.

Have a good time. Look forward to seeing you Christmas.

Say was that girl pretty that the little boy asked if you wanted to marry her?

Love

Dad and Mom

Pastor Paul said...

Don, my Tahitian family here would laugh at your comment -as, at the moment, I also speak French quite poorly. Think I need another class. I'm getting tired of giving people blank stares when they roll off a paragraph in conversation.

Dad and Mom! Hello! Glad you like the stories. :) Yes, I decided to just turn my blog into a journal. I feel like so much is happening and I just want to remember it all. Feel free to use the lemon story. lol
As for the girl...she was a little old for me. Of course, I suppose I look pretty old to a 5 year old. So he probably thought it was a good match. :)
Love you both and am looking forward to Christmas!
Paul