Monday, December 1, 2008

Don't Have A Cow


On the way down Tapioi Mountain, we saw all the same animals -with an addition. This time there were some cows. Actually, they were steers. Tama calls them cows but they've all got some pretty serious horns. They were at a good distance. But a couple days later, Tama and I went up the trail again. This time they were spread out all over the trail. Tama likes to make me paranoid and I've become a bit wise to his ways. But watching him come to a complete stop as he surveyed the situation made me a bit nervous.
Now you might think, "So what? A bunch of cows. Just keep walking." But when all 10 of them stop eating and just stare at you with those horns looking ever so pointedly in your direction, it gives one pause. Tama said this had happened before and he'd taken a short cut up the mountain. But that looked to me like you would need a machete to get through some jungle-like terrain.
After a couple minutes of just standing there, Tama proceeded with caution to walk right through the middle of the pack. I guess I really wanted to see that mountain top view again because I followed him. But I became concerned when I realized that I'd have to walk between a calf and the biggest "cow" of the bunch. Feeling all their eyes on me, I just kind of looked down and walked slowly through. Once I got through I looked back to take a picture of them all. Then we started to wonder about the trip back down the mountain.
But on the way back they had ventured off into another area -all except for one that was grazing near the trail. To make myself feel better I told Tama that it seemed safe because it was standing on the other side of a huge ditch and would actually have to jump to get to the trail. At that precise moment, that cow jumped over the ditch! Tama couldn't contain his laughter as I sped up to get out of its' way. I never knew a cow could jump like that. But I should've remembered another legend...something about a cow that jumped over the moon.

No comments: