Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Lunch With Jean-Claude and Tiare



After church on Sunday, Yves and Mirella told me that we were going to lunch with Jean-Claude and Tiare. These two are a couple that I first met at a prayer chapel next to the hospital. A group from the Orovini church goes there every Saturday morning. Though they are getting up in years, they haven't been married all that long. And they are a total kick.
We went to an exhibition center where Jean-Claude often works. At the moment, it is featuring an exhibit of the Marquese Islands. We had a typical Marquesian lunch and it was delicious. Even the rice was awesome as they add sugar and coconut milk to it. I had raw fish with lemon. Mirella had octopus and, though I was reluctant, I took a bite -and even that was delicious.

After lunch we walked through the exhibition hall. The craftsmanship of these items is incredible with intricate designs worked into the wood. But mostly what they featured were tikis. One man also showed me a weapon that was typically used to beat a person over the head. I'd heard of this being done to facilitate a human sacrifice. I didn't stay at that booth very long.
There were musicians playing the whole time and at one point I was surprised to hear them go into "Tiny Bubbles".
At another booth I saw some very sharp pieces of wood that could've passed for long golf tees. They were really crafted down to a point though. I asked a lady sitting there if they were used as weapons. She laughed at me, picking one up and demonstrating that they were used to tie up long hair.

Jean-Claude took me over to see a place where they are adding onto the exhibition center. It looked like a pretty major expansion. Later on, he saw a dog that he likes and whistled for it. What he didn't see was about 6 other dogs in another place at the work site who then came running along with the one. Mirella said he simply said, "Uh oh." Then he went to find them all some food.
We went back to Yves and Mirella's home for an extended visit over coffee and dessert. Tiare told a story about going to see a movie on one of the islands. At one point during the film, she was surprised to see a pig walking through the theater. I asked her if he'd bought a ticket.

No comments: