Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Embrace The Adventure


Well, it's New Year's Eve. This day can be full of incredible anticipation for some -and apprehension for others -for what the new year will hold. Maybe these feelings get jumbled together for most and it's why we bring in the New Year with noise makers, just to let off some steam. Maybe we make the noise in the face of fear just to say, "Bring it on!" Maybe we're celebrating just having survived another year of life.
Last spring, I was in the middle of a pretty difficult time. It seemed that nothing was working out and discouragement was settling in. During that time, Aimana, Sindy and Taimoana were in town for a quick vacation. As they were packing for the airport, 5-year-old Taimoana noticed a little present someone had given me that hadn't been opened yet. He brought it to me and told me to open it. I was ironing a shirt and needing to leave for church so I told him I didn't have time right then. But this little guy persisted until I could resist no longer. When I opened it, I discovered that someone had given me a little plaque with these words on it:

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."


I recognized that God used little Taimoana to get my attention that day. This new year is a gift to us that is unopened as yet. As we open it, let's recognize that it is given to us from God Himself. He wants to give us a hope and a future. Don't focus too much on your feelings. They change like the seasons. Put your trust in the One who never fails, never lies, and never leaves or forsakes us. Then, embrace the adventure.

No comments: