Friday, July 25, 2008

A Cup Of Starbucks...In His Name


Tonight we gather at Starbucks to hand out, not just cups of coffee, but cups of hope.
I used to live in Seattle. I've got a theory that Starbucks first became so popular there because of the rain, the dark clouds and the constantly overcast skies. After awhile it just gets depressing. People duck into a Starbucks -not just for the coffee, but for the little extra jolt of energy caffeine tends to bring. I even saw a sign in one of the stores that said, "Happiness in a cup."
Well, as we all know, those cups of happiness are all very short-lived. We have to return again and again for another cup of coffee. In fact, Dave Short recently told me that coffee actually dehydrates you. (I'm believing this because, during this fast, I actually woke up in the middle of the night desperately thirsty...having had nothing but water and coffee.)

But Jesus offers a drink of another kind. He said to the woman at the well in John 4:13-14, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

We don't give these gift certificates just for them to have coffee. We give them that they may have hope in a dark world. We pray that they will be drawn to the joy that can only be found in Jesus. If you'd like to help us, we more than welcome you! Check out the address on the church website.

Mark 9:41 "I tell you the truth, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to Christ will certainly not lose his reward."

2 comments:

Debbie said...

You mean helping as in taking some of those cards off your hands??!! :o) I can do it!!! but instead of giving me a gift card to pay for the coffee, can you just give me money so I can go to It's a Grind?!

Pastor Paul said...

Maybe for the next outreach Debbie. :) I suppose we'll also need to hit Peet's, The Coffee Bean, Polly's Gourmet Coffee, and It's A Grind eventually. And that's just scratching the surface!