Friday, July 11, 2008

Quality For Life


I went shopping for clothes the other day and a tag on a Haggar shirt caught my eye. See if you can tell which of the following descriptions this bachelor would be most excited about: Stay Crisp Shirt, No Iron, 100% Cotton
But as I read on down the tag, I became intrigued. This is a first. I've never been intrigued by a shirt tag before. This is what the rest of it said...
Haggar, Making Things Right
Quality For Life, Guaranteed As Long As You Live
Shrink Resistant
Unbustable Seams
Unbreakable Buttons

Wow! What a guarantee! It almost makes me want to challenge it and see if I can break a button. Like when I was 7 years old and my Mom saw me with all my little 45 lp records spread around me on the floor. She said to be careful not to sit on one or it would break. Once she left, it was a duty incumbent upon me to test her theory. Turns out, she was right.
While I love the sound of Haggar's guarantee, I'm almost sure someone somewhere could find a way to break a button. Maybe one of those power team guys. But they are certainly good at what they do and I am enjoying the shirt. What actually does meet the guarantee they make is the armor of God. We tend to forget that we are in a battle and that a soldier never goes to war unequipped. Let's be sure to clothe ourselves each day with armor that is guaranteed for life. It's shrink resistant, with unbustable seams and unbreakable buttons. And, by the way, it'll protect us in the war zone. It's quality for life.

Ephesians 6: 11-17 "Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.
Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.
In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."

No comments: