Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Can You Hear Me Now?

Well, I finally did it. I got a cell phone. I've been resisting it for years but saw my need for it when I got a flat in the middle of nowhere on a dark and stormy night and my jack wouldn't work. It was quite a hike to find a payphone -for which I had no change -and which was pretty gross.
So, this is quite an adjustment. Saturday I was walking down the street and suddenly my pocket started ringing. It had never done that before. It had quite a funky little tune going and I was hoping that people wouldn't notice the confused look on my face as I was trying to open the wrong end of the phone.
It is my sincere hope that I won't turn into one of those people who answers it in the coffee shop and proceeds to carry on a conversation at bull-horn volume. It reminds me of when our Great Aunt Lucille would call. You'd always know when it was her because Mom would suddenly be yelling sweet greetings at the top of her voice to compensate for her aunt's hearing loss. When the call ended, Mom would stay at the same volume for a few sentences. It felt a bit like being in a wind tunnel. I believe she inspired the "Can you hear me now?" ad campaign.
I think I'll just use the cell for emergencies. So I'm only giving the number out to family and Pizza Hut Delivery.

2 comments:

Steve said...

I am so proud of you, Paul. I see you are being stretched in so many ways. I know you are giving your number to Pizza Hut, but I would like it so I can call you for a pizza delivery.

Pastor Paul said...

I don't think you'd be all that impressed with a pizza I'd make. My specialty is usually found in the frozen food department. I'll be happy to deliver one. Do you like your pizza frozen?