Thursday, July 26, 2007

Choosing Joy Over Bitterness


This is my buddy Dennis. I talked about him today during our study. Habakkuk imagines the worst possible circumstances and then says, "Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior." (Hab.3:18)
When Dennis had a motorcycle accident and eventually had to amputate his foot, I was angry. But God just kind of whispered to me that I should be thankful he was alive. Most wouldn't have survived it.
Dennis's reaction was much different. He didn't say, "Why me?" He said, "Considering all the trouble there is in the world, why not me?" His choice to trust and grow in God instead of becoming bitter over the situation helped him to have a greater personal revelation of God. His joy wasn't found in things, or in having both feet, but in God Himself. He said he wouldn't trade what God did in his life to have the foot back.
Job 42:5 "My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you."

No comments: