Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Spotlight On Music Ministry


Okay, now to let you know where I'm coming from, here's a bit of my background that I think pertains to God's calling on my life as a music minister.
From the youngest of ages I was singing solos in church. Throughout my school years I was involved in various choirs, singing groups, bands -playing trumpet and trombone, drama classes, speech classes, plays and musicals. I even had a leading role in a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta titled, "The Yeoman Of The Guard" in the eighth grade. This was serious stuff!
At 14, I got my Mom to sit down with me and teach me a few things on the piano. She taught me how to read chord charts and I fell in love with the piano. Two hours would go by like two minutes -and it was never that way when I was practicing my trombone. I began to write songs around this time.
At 15, I started leading worship for my Dad's church in Bellevue, Washington. I continued to lead worship on a volunteer basis in the churches I attended once I moved to sunny Southern California.
At 24, I was leading at Life Center Assembly in Lakewood as they were trying out potential music ministers. Then they gave me a tryout. I stayed for 17 years.
To keep these blogs from becoming novels, I'll stop here. Next week I'll talk about my education for music ministry -which most certainly did not come from typical sources.

No comments: