Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tahiti-iti





If you've ever looked at a map of Tahiti you've probably noticed that there's the bulk of the island -and then there's a small piece that just barely seems to be attached to it. They are linked together, in fact, by one small bridge. This little piece is known as Tahiti-iti.
Yves invited me to go with some people from the church to check out a few campgrounds there. They'll be having a camp for the youth in December. I'd been to Tahiti-iti before -but this was a side of it I'd never seen. From the car I could see multiple waterfalls. When we parked the car, I got out and saw a boat propped up on the ground -that looked to me just like the boat from Gilligans Island. Maybe this is where they were all that time.

We toured the campgrounds and one tiny island -with really nothing on it but trees. A man was pulling up in a boat to fish -and Yves knew him. At times it seems that Yves knows every-other-person on the island! The man lived near-by and took us to his home. He'd been speaking French pretty fast -which made if pretty much impossible for me to follow. But suddenly he started speaking to me in perfect english. He used to work with Air France as a flight attendant but is now retired at the ripe old age of 51! He inherited this incredible piece of land and took us on a tour. At times I wondered if it had been Eden. Along the way Yves broke open a few coconuts for us to munch on. The trees were just beautiful.
It turns out that he is actually Mirella's cousin. He seemed very appreciative of what he has there. He said that -that area is a great place for Tahitians to vacation because it's so secluded. He, in fact, has his own water tower -a smaller version of what you'd see on Petticoat Junction.
I guess I've got old TV shows on the mind today.

No comments: