Tuesday, November 11, 2008

When Life Hands You Lemons

When we went to the little island with nothing but trees, we had to stop the boat before getting too close to the island. So we walked through waist-deep water -which is difficult for me when wearing sandals. Yves was very kind to help me get to the shore because I kept losing my balance. But on one of my stumbles, I actually cut my foot a little bit. (Yes, Sheri, sorry I forgot my swim-shoes. I regretted it!)
It really wasn't a bad cut. I was walking fine the rest of the day. But when we got back to the house it felt like it had swollen up a bit. That's when they told me -if you've been cut by corral, you will need to have lemon squeezed into the cut. Otherwise it will get infected and then you'll have real problems. I winced at the thought and wondered if they were teasing me. Sometimes I'm not sure if Aimana and Tama are serious. But then suddenly, here cpmes Yves with a lemon. Aimana had been headed out the door but then was excited to stay and watch the proceedings. In fact, he and Tama found my growing concern quite entertaining. It sounds cruel but I was glad to have them there to distract me during the surgery.
Yves worked the lemon over my cut. I think I sang a little song. Maybe not so little. But he did it very quickly. I thought it would take much longer. Then he bandaged me up with a little medicine. But they said that Tahitians have used lemons for years for this purpose. How awesome that God made this natural cure. I've been tempted to hate lemons after this because of the pain. But it spared me from something much worse. I love lemons now.

No comments: